Sunday, November 11, 2007

WE MADE IT!!!

We finally made it to Quito! We got up this morning...sunday for those who are following our trip...and we ate a small breakfast, had a short prayer time with our team and then we went to the airport. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 4:00pm and by 11:30 we were in line to check our bags. We had to get there early because they were overbooking all the flights to try to catch up with the mess created on Friday. We checked our bags, went through security, ate some lunch and then...waited...and waited.....and waited. The time had finally come to board the plane. Paul and I had great seats towards the front of the plane so we boarded nearly last...but it was worth it.

Once we were on the plane we took off and then it began...

You see I was in the middle seat and Paul was in the window seat. On the other side of me was a man, middle aged, clean cut, obviously Ecuadorian. He sat in his seat as if he owned the plane. He had his feet stretched out with a blanket over them, and BOTH elbows occupying BOTH armrests. Paul thought I was being flirty and cuddly with him because I was leaning so far over...actually NO! I was just trying to not be that way with the man next to me who thought that he did not have to share the armrest! I want you to get a clear picture of my situation. He was not a large man, average build, but he was taking up more than his fair share of space. His arm was resting so far over on my side that I was having to lean away just to not touch him. Very annoying! So then he gets up to go to the bathroom...RELIEF! So I ask Paul to switch seats with me so that I could sleep...Oh yeah! I forgot a really funny part! As soon as he got on the plane, he took his shoes off, got his pillow and blanket out, got all cozy with his eye mask and headphones and went to sleep! Still not sharing armrest space. So back to the bathroom story...I got Paul to switch with me. When the guy came back he had shaved, put on cologne, brushed his teeth and combed his hair...mind you it is after 8:00pm! Paul literally elbow wrestled with this guy for the rest of the flight!

We landed safely in Quito and are now in the hotel getting ready to go to sleep! I hope to be able to blog during the week but I'm not sure. I will write what is going on but they may get posted all at once on thursday! See you when we get back!





No comments: