Monday, October 15, 2007

Love...

So lately I have been really convicted about the word "love". I am sure that God was preparing me for the conversation I had tonight with my five year old. More on that in a minute...
So Love...Specifically what God has been causing me to notice is the enormous amount of times I use the word. For example..."I love ice cream, I love to jump on the trampoline, I love my kids, I love Jesus." All of these are comments that I might make in a single day, but seriously...do I love ice cream? I know I love Jesus and my children and my husband but why am I using the same word to describe a bowl of frozen treat that is only going to make me NOT love my butt tomorrow? Does that make sense? I think the word is totally over used. It's sad really that I did not realize this before. The definition of love is: (according to dictionary.com

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
love /lʌv/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[luhv] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, loved, lov·ing.
–noun
1.a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
2.a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
3.sexual passion or desire.
4.a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.
5.(used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection, or the like): Would you like to see a movie, love?
6.a love affair; an intensely amorous incident; amour.
7.sexual intercourse; copulation.
8.(initial capital letter) a personification of sexual affection, as Eros or Cupid.
9.affectionate concern for the well-being of others: the love of one's neighbor.
10.strong predilection, enthusiasm, or liking for anything: her love of books.
11.the object or thing so liked: The theater was her great love.
12.the benevolent affection of God for His creatures, or the reverent affection due from them to God.
13.Chiefly Tennis. a score of zero; nothing.
14.a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter L. –verb (used with object)
15.to have love or affection for: All her pupils love her.
16.to have a profoundly tender, passionate affection for (another person).
17.to have a strong liking for; take great pleasure in: to love music.
18.to need or require; benefit greatly from: Plants love sunlight.
19.to embrace and kiss (someone), as a lover.
20.to have sexual intercourse with. –verb (used without object)
21.to have love or affection for another person; be in love. —Verb phrase
22.love up, to hug and cuddle: She loves him up every chance she gets. —Idioms
23.for love,

a.out of affection or liking; for pleasure.
b.without compensation; gratuitously: He took care of the poor for love.
24.for the love of, in consideration of; for the sake of: For the love of mercy, stop that noise.
25.in love, infused with or feeling deep affection or passion: a youth always in love.
26.in love with, feeling deep affection or passion for (a person, idea, occupation, etc.); enamored of: in love with the girl next door; in love with one's work.
27.make love,
a.to embrace and kiss as lovers.
b.to engage in sexual activity.
28.no love lost, dislike; animosity: There was no love lost between the two brothers.

So each of my statements are described at some point in this lengthy definition, but is that really what Jesus meant? Did He mean for their to be 28 definitions of love? Or was it intended to be just for Him, but in our finite English language we decided to lump it all together? I I know there are the 3 different kinds of love in the Bible. I get all that, but where is the power of the word?
So that brings me to my conversation with my 5 year old tonight. At the dinner table, he asked me how to spell "Jordan's" name. Jordan is a girl he goes to school with. I asked why and he said he wanted to write her name and his name together in a heart. Of course I followed with, "Why do you want to do that?" He said, "Because she is my friend." Interesting. As the conversation went on we talked about love and what it really means, who it should be for (at 5 YEARS OLD for goodness sake!) After much talking we (Paul and I) came to the conclusion that he was good friends with Jordan and wanted to tell her that she was his good friend. The only word he knew to use was "love". Which makes me think I use the word too loosely.
God was preparing me for this tonight. I thank God that He LOVES me. I know that I LOVE Him with all my heart, as well as my children and my husband. I do not LOVE ice cream. Thank you God for the many lessons you have taught me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just wanted to say hi! and to tell you that i love you, and i mean that, i actually do "love" you. :)